Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The life of a dog...


So it's currently 8:30 pm on a Tuesday it's snowing, I'm freezing (not uncommon) and I just managed to get home from work. I am a mid-afternoon captive of the MBTA for about 45 minutes to an hour to get to work on time. I have had a weird day, filled with missing the redline T by about 20 seconds, catching the next one only to have that one get stopped for a "random" security sweep and then finally get to the office about 20 minutes late.

Once entering the office, oddly thrilled to have actually arrived, I sit at my desk and.......nothing. DAMNIT! They have deleted me. There goes my day! I can't get on to any computer. You see, I do NOT work at Fort Knox, but apparently terrorists can take over the world with educational tools? One would assume (and yes, I do know that is always a bad decision) that working in a tech support department...perhaps someone could give me back my access so I can justify my existence????

Anywho...so after a day filled with cosmic signs to "stay in bed - don't even attempt to leave the house". I finally make it home. Where I am greeted by the most wonderful sight. My exceptionally lazy Golden Retriever hauling her plump self off couch. I can almost hear her saying "I did my job. Couch is warm". Now to get the full mental image you have to understand; I have had her for about 2 years now. She is around nine or ten years old and I rescued her from a rather miserable life of beatings and starvation. I had her for about two weeks before she "named herself". The agency had called her "Peaches". Really??? Who does that to a dog???

I believe it was the first time she fell. Over nothing. Literally nothing. Just fell. She falls up the stairs, she falls down the stairs. She turns her head too fast...WHACK! right into the wall....she falls out of the car, backwards and lays there with all fours up in the air like an awkward turtle. She falls out of bed. I catch her just sitting in the corner staring at the wall...ummmm...ok???? So right then and there Dazie was named. I thought at first maybe she was blind or maybe deaf...I can be right next to her calling her name and nothing. She truly is special....maybe that is what makes her so wonderful.

On this particular day, I get home as she is trying her best to get her old bones up, do her typical nose to tail stretch and gently hop off the couch. It is apparent by the condition of the rest of the house and her food and water bowl that she has most likely been there all day. Lucky dog. She walks slowly over to the door and greets me. When she is happy to see you but doesn't want to waste what little energy she has, she gets what I have affectionately called the "propeller tail" going. It looks just like that. The propeller on an old prop airplane. Instead of the typical back and forth excitement of a "typical dog", her tail goes slowly in circles like she is winding up for something. This is her superpower.

No matter how.....interesting.... my day has been, walking in the door and seeing Dazie waiting patiently for me to get home just makes it all worth it. I am very sure that on several occasions this blog will be filled with the odd adventures, rants and raves that follow my days with Daz!

1 comment:

  1. Maaan! I really want a dog. :(

    Dazie's a sweetheart!

    Also, I'd like to point out the following:

    "Litterially"
    "genitally"

    I think you need a nap, dearest. ;)

    ReplyDelete